Sunday 19 December 2010

Vintage Patterns

So far I have steered away from vintage patterns not because I don't like them but because I'm a bit scared to attempt making them. I still feel I need to build my dressmaking and fitting skills before I tackle an original vintage. However I have taken the first step towards sewing a vintage pattern and that is buying some. These were all found in a recent rummage through local antique and charity shops.
Without further ado here they are:

I googled Weldons sewing patterns as I wanted to find out more about these but found nothing. Are you familiar with Weldons? It looks like a 40s pattern but I can't be sure.
Style Patterns was another that I googled and found nothing. This also looks like 40s to me.

Next a mix of Vogue, Butterick and McCall for women and children. No idea what year again. Any ideas?




I also bought some 70s patterns. I like the dress in the middle below and the following pattern came as a bonus.


Finally a Simplicity skirt pattern from 60s, 70s?



Let me know what you think of my purchases and if you know anything about these or know where I could find more information about them please let me know.


11 comments:

  1. Have you tried vintagepatterns.wikia.com ? What a lovely collection you've got - should keep you busy next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely, well done on your fab finds. I have got some vintage patterns but haven't used them yet. Look forward to seeing what you make with them! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh they look great, I like the blouses on the first one and the 60's brown and beige dress. I recently sewed my first vintage pattern and it was really straight forward - nowhere near as scary as I thought. Maybe start with the easiest looking one, then you're not put off! Perhaps the skirt? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the Style 4530 dress - the one in the middle. I haven't sewn any vintage patterns yet either; I'm still working on getting the modern ones right! :) I do own a couple, but I think that they may be a little too large, as I was buying according to my bust measurement instead of my high bust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did look at wikia and was able to find some but there's no extra information about them. It's just a name and the scan of the envelope. Unless I need to register to view, not sure.
    Jane: I have plenty to sew for a few months but might try the skirt just to see how it goes.
    Amy: I love that one too and it was the reason I bought it. Not too keen on the other two, I think because of the sleeves, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could be wrong but I believe the Weldon's patterns are primarily a British pattern making company? I've only seen them from the 1930's to 1940's. It's really great that you found these in charity shops! What a find! Your Weldon's definitely looks like it's from the 1940's (I would guess early 40's). Your butterick and vogue also look like they are from the 40's. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really had much luck, the patterns are all beautiful, I love especially the lingerie, Do you will try one soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My unprofessional opinion thinks that the Vogue undies are from the 1940s, the Butterick gown is (very) 1930s, the children's robes are 1940s and the little girls' dresses are 1930s. You might try looking here for more information:
    http://www.cemetarian.com/index.php?pr=Dating_Sewing_Patterns

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debi and Rosy: Thank you! I would love to try the shirts but feel a bit intimidated. I panicked when I saw that these are unprinted perforated patterns.
    Miss Virginia: Thank you for the info. The website is great and certainly helpful to get a date on these. I have bookmarked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debi was right about Weldon's being a British company. I have scans of two of their catalogs in my flickr stream here. Good luck with your vintage pattern sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some great finds! I can't wait to see the finished projects! I know you can do this. The only thing you have to watch out for with vintage patterns is to make sure you have all of the pieces before you start. It is also a good idea to copy the patterns onto new paper so that you can preserve the originals! I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...