Sunday 13 November 2011

Easy Winter Cape

I finally did all my hand sewing on this cape and have now finished. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Behold, the cape!!
I decided to do a bit of photoshop editing on this one as I am getting bored with straight out of the camera photos.
This cape is from Easy Stitch n' Save M5913 by McCalls. It was an easy make however I decided to underline it with fleece (yes, you read it right, fleece) to give me extra warmness. This cape was originally intended to go with me to the Bombshell Party, but I decided otherwise, as the extra tickness meant trouble ahead. It is warm but the inside is quite ugly as layers are very tick to do any type of seam finish (other than an overlock stitch). The super tickness also meant I was unable to do machine buttonholes. The thing wouldn't fit under my sewing machine foot. I decided to sew the biggest snaps I could find and put some buttons on top for decoration. 
Just look at the size of the snaps, found in MacCulloch and Wallis. For those not familiar with the 50 pence, the snaps have a diameter of 1 1/4"/ 2.7 cm.

Hope you had a lovely weekend, I am now onto some serious pattern making and hopefully my next project for you might come straight tout of my course!

21 comments:

  1. fabulous cape! especially the collar is great and this buttons, i´m also thinking of making a winter cape, already have a houndstooth-cape for fall but not that warm.
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's perfect! Looks lovely and snuggly under there. Adore the photo editing too - very cool.

    I don't know about you but I'm totally knackered after the course yesterday. All that thinking and cutting, thinking and cutting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's totally lovely. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning job, Suzy! I love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, there are very few people who can pull off a cape look with aplomb - you are DEFINITELY one of those people. You look fab in it Suzy, completely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous. Well done for tackling a cape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo! And man, those are the biggest snaps I have seen! Fabulous! I am itching to make a cape now..this one is so lovely and versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cape is gorgeous and I love your extra snazzy photos! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, it's fabulous. You look like a spy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's fabulous, you look gorgeous, love it!! And what a great pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good cape. This is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Classy and classic. What more could a girl want?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, well done! The buttons really are the cherry on the top =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzy its to die for! I'm so in awe - I think the styling is really wearably everyday chic ( something I'm usually unsure of with capes) yours though is def a winner. And as Tilly says, sounds super cosy too. I like the photo edits too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab cape Suzy - it really suit you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One layer is on my wish list for next winter too ... yours is fabulous, it looks great on you. Good idea to put the fleece on the inside. So warm. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful job on your cape. I simply adore it. I have a similar black Pendleton cape and receive many compliments on it. It adds drama to everyday wear. I'm sure you will get a ton of wear out of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I don't know why I never thought about making one, it would be ideal for me when I ride my bike! duh!
    And I love the editing of the photo, you are very talented Suzy, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suzy, this is wonderful!!!! You are such a talented seamstress. I recently made a cape foe a friend but now you have totally inspired me to make one for myself. Nice idea lining it in fleece, it might choose something thicker than the usualy poly-taffeta lining myself. Thanks for the inspiration honey-pie!

    Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...