Thursday 30 June 2011

Burda 7441 - Trousers completed

I have finished my Burda 7441 trousers and I'm chuffed with the results. Don't get me wrong, there are imperfections and I did skip a step or two but I'm still very happy with the result.
This is the only photo I have to show you actually wearing them but since finishing them I have worn them twice to work already. I did a photo shoot with them, but don't like the result at all (my hair isn't right, my hands look funny, that type of stuff). This one is ok and it was snapped by my colleague during a lunch break. I promise more photos as I am planning to make a yellow mustard top to go with it and replicate my original inspiration look. Not sure when though.
But let's get down to business. After tissue fitting I've cut straight into fabric. The first step on the instructions was scary: make two slashed pockets with single piping. Basically slashed pockets are like giant bound buttonholes and these ones also have piping. I tested on some scraps unsuccessfully. Actually I did manage to do some but they were less then perfect. After a long time frustrating and fretting on this I decided to skip these pockets. I don't really use back pockets anyway. I might add some flaps at some stage as my behind is a bit flat and no pockets makes it worse.
The next big thing was a fly zip. I had never done a fly zip and was quite scared. I was pleasantly surprised and a wee bit chuffed with the result. The instructions were very clear and helpful and that certainly helped.
The pattern also has two side pockets which attach to the pants with a hip yoke. I was quite scared beforehand, as I had no clue what is was and what it was meant for, but once I got it I breezed through.
The waistband was also quite straightforward to attach and the instructions very good.
However the same instructions leave for last the attaching of a hook and a bar to the waistband and that means there's a bunch of thread in front of the waistband. I guess I could have pre-empted this before and sewn the hook before completing the waistband but I didn't. I usually follow the pattern instructions to the letter, especially in more challenging or new to me projects and sometimes when you read a step too far ahead it only confuses you.

All in all I am quite happy. I expected the pants to be more straight leg than cigarette pants but still love them and see myself wearing this quite a lot.

But now I want to know: have you done slashed pockets before? How about fly zips?

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! It's a great pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fabulous. Wow, you made trousers! That's next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly professional looking trousers Suzy - fab job! The fly front is especially impressive, you're right to be chuffed. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pants are gorgeous! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some really pro looking pants! I can't believe they're your first pair! Pants scare me -- I have enough trouble getting the waistband of a skirt to fit right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous. Supremely jealous! I really must try and make pants one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic! Great job on the lapped zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great. Very professional. I love your sunglasses too. I always thought hip yoke pockets were hard too but after doing them once you realise they are really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowie, these are fab!!!! You did a brilliant job on them, and I'm not surprised your chuffed with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzy your trousers look fab and the zip looks great - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Suzy, they are amazing!!! I love everything about your trousers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...